Quick Links
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Phonics vocabulary


Ajax Loading Image


As I work with students on their reading, I like to use the correct terminology.  Many of these words are new to students.  Please use this page as a reference when students (or you) have questions regarding specific vocabulary.

Vowels- Include the letters a, e, i, o, u, and y when it is not at the beginning of a word.

Consonants- All letters in the alphabet that are not vowels.

Digraph- When 2 letters make 1 sound.  We are generally referring to consonant digraphs, such as sh, th, and ch.  These can be marked by underlining with one line.  

Blend- Two or three consonants together where all letters retain their sound, such as st-, fl, tr, and -nd.  These can be marked with an underlind under each letter in the blend. 

Welded or glued sound- A combination of vowels and consonants that are difficult to separate into individual sounds.  These are taught in chunks to aid in decoding and spelling.  Some examples are ing, ank, ild, ost, and all.  When students first learn these I often have them put a box around the welded sound. 

Sight words, trick words, high frequency words- All these terms refer to words that are difficult to sound out phonetically.  

Syllable- A word or word part that has 1 vowel sound.  

Closed syllable- A syllable that contains 1 short vowel followed by 1 or more consonants, as in it, and, lunch.

VCE syllable- A syllable that contains 1 long vowel, followed by 1 consonant, followed by a silent e, as in like, flame, and home.

Open syllable- A syllable that contains 1 long vowel at the end of the syllable, as in go, she, and cry.